Friday, May 8, 2009

Living In Italy Can Be Lots of Fun

Sometimes I just have those weeks...and this is one of them. I am getting really excited to move away from Italy.

Just yesterday, I was with my friend Julie, and we were on a two-lane road (each lane going in the opposite direction). We were slowing down to turn left, with the signal on, and the Italian behind me was following too closely, so he had to slam on his brakes, and the Italian behind him hit him. Not badly, mind you, but enough to be annoying.

Well, we were simply using the lefthand turn to turn around, so I stopped to ask that everyone was OK and not hurt. He was furious with me (for, I guess, turning legally), and tried to blame the accident on me. He was actually kind of aggressive about the whole thing. Well, since he was calling the police, we called our friend Tony, who speaks Italian (thank goodness for Tony), and the whole ridiculous thing finally got sorted out. I was told by the guy I assumed was an insurance man to just go, as it was clear that nothing was my fault (my car wasn't even hit!).

But, the summary of why it was supposedly my fault: (keep in mind there was only one lane we were supposed to be using) I was "too far over to the right" even though I was turning left. WHAT?? Fortunately, some Italians (not the one involved in the accident) had the sense to let me go.

Today, a totally different annoying Italian situation. My soggiorno (Italian bureaucratic piece of paper letting me live here) expired. They need my Codice Fiscale (Italian bureaucratic piece of paper with number on it similar to an SSN) to process the renewal. I bring it in. They tell me that it is not good. Why, do you ask?

Because, my maiden name (McRoberts) has a space between the Mc and the Roberts. My passport does not have this same space. So, I am told that I have to go to Pordenone to get a new Codice Fiscale so that I can continue my request for a new Soggiorno.

I flat-out told them I would not. I mean, we are moving in October. To Germany. Where they don't have this nonsense. So, I am risking being told to leave. Oh well, I say! I do have a receipt saying that they are working on it, so on the off chance that someone hunts me down for this, at least I have legal proof that I am supposed to be here.

When are we leaving this country????

3 comments:

Mini said...

Well you do have a big car...lol. Plus, you know how our luck works...they'll make you leave Italy the day before you are due.

Mini said...

I WANT A NEW POST!!!!

Laura said...

You should tell the Italians that Americans can do whatever they want with spaces since we got to space before they ever dreamed about it. I know, it doesn't make sense. Let it expire and come back to America where epidurals flow like water!