Friday, August 7, 2009

Maniago Knives

There is a town about fifteen minutes from us called Maniago. They are world-reknowned for their knife production. There are several Maniago knife companies that are typically represented at the Aviano bazaars, and because of this, I have gotten to know some of the vendors pretty well.

There is one such vendor, Martinuzzo Emilio & Co., that sells the most beautiful wooden items, such as cutting boards and kitchen islands, and all the corresponding stainless steel knives and kitchen utensils. One of the executives, Matteo, told me that I could come by the factory in Maniago to browse.

So, we took him up on that yesterday. It was particularly nice of Matteo to let us swing by the factory, because the entire company of workers is on vacation (except, apparently, for Matteo). He showed us around the factory, and was patient while we looked.

We have a knife block and knives that we registered for a few years ago for our wedding. We have been happy with them, but wanted an upgrade.

I had my eye on a cutting board that my friend Julie has, and ended up purchasing that. It has a pull-out drawer on the bottom and included some beautiful stainless steel knives. We also purchased a round wooden knife block, which also included stainless steel knives. Matteo gave me a nice deal, and threw in a knife sharpener. He also graciously gave my in-laws a stainless steel apple corer and can opener that they wanted.

Our purchases:



I'm so happy that I am leaving Italy with some beautiful quality knives! Chris and I would both love to purchase one of their islands, but we already have a marble/wrought iron one, and we just don't know what our next kitchen is going to be like. I highly recommend this company, though, for your knife needs!

2 comments:

Mila said...

wow, this board is beautiful. how much is it?

Daniel Santiago said...

How much was the circle one?