Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Oil Change or Blood Money?

Today I tackled a chore that I have been putting off for awhile. I took our Dodge Charger in for an oil change/12,000 mile checkup. I was avoiding this for a couple of reasons, and the situation lived up to the hype.

I was dreading the possibility of sitting there for a couple of hours with Jackson (check, it happened) and the temper tantrum that would come from being there for awhile (check and check).

In order to maintain our warranty, we are required to take the car to a dealer. This is incredibly easy to handle in the United States, but Europe isn't exactly crawling with Dodge dealers. In fact, people literally stop on the street to stare at our apparently alien looking car.

Fortunately for us, there is a Dodge dealer in Schinnen. So, that's where I went today. The people there were very friendly, but I was in a lousy mood. We were experiencing snowfall and serious wind just when I was trying to get the stroller into the non-stroller friendly stair/doorway scenario they have going on, all while trying to keep my little angel asleep after we had already gone to stroller fitness and done errands for the day. Please keep sleeping, please keep sleeping.

So, typical long wait, screaming tantrum American baby, and they finally tell me very pleasantly that the car is ready! And, I go on up to the counter to find that I owe them 233 euros! That's about $360. For what was basically an oil change, tire rotation, and a washer fluid fill-up.

Is it that expensive in the United States, or is this just crazy European price gouging?? I expected the oil to be expensive, but honestly.

No comments: