Thursday, April 10, 2008

Il Tulipano

“Il tulipano” is tulip in Italian. I don’t know it in Turkish, but I want to find out really quickly! Hello, from Istanbul, Turkey!

We had a relatively uneventful trip (by this, I mean that all our bags made it), and settled in for the taxi ride from the airport to Sultanehmet, which is the part of the city where our hotel is located. We were in for such a treat! There was mile upon mile (or kilometer upon kilometer) of every possible color of tulip lining all sides of the streets and medians. They were just crammed into every corner imaginable – and they just didn’t stop!

Those of you who know me really well know my adoration for the tulip. One of my only insistences during my wedding, my one thing I just had to have, was tulips for our flowers. And, they were beautiful. I don’t think I have seen as many tulips in one place in my life as I have in Istanbul.

So, that was a pleasant start to our trip. We checked into our hotel, and just wandered the area. We are really close to the part of town where the Ayasofia (Hagia Sofia) and the Blue Mosque are located. So we walked through a Bazaar, looked around at a few sights, then grabbed a typical Turkish dinner of meatballs and rice. Then we kept meandering, and stopped at a tea garden to share some baklava and drink tea. I had the apple tea, and our waiter told me after I had already sipped most of it that the apple tea is usually for children. Oh well.

I must say that Istanbul is breathtaking – I 100% recommend it as a vacation destination. I am going to really enjoy the next couple of days here. It’s actually funny, because I never really had a desire to visit Turkey. Just during our first day, though, we’ve noticed that the people are some of the friendliest we’ve met, the city is completely clean and stunning, and they have so much fun stuff that I want to buy! Unfortunately, I don’t think we’re going to be able to take everything home that I have seen just on day one.

We will try to keep updating whenever we get Internet access! Oh, and this morning, we woke up in the wee dark hours to the Blue Mosque muezzin calling the Muslim faithful to prayer. Chris has already heard this before, having been to Afghanistan, but it was my first time. I must say that it was very eerie. I, instead of praying to Allah, I chose to pray to the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob to thank Him for this marvelous trip!


The Blue Mosque


The Ayasofia

2 comments:

Dyllan's Dependents said...

It looks amazing so far. I hope you guys have an great rest of your trip.
liz

Laura said...

They have more tulips than in Holland? I'm so glad you're having a good time. I woke up this morning and thought of you and was glad you and Chris were out for some fun and adventure! I laughed out loud about the apple tea!