Wednesday, August 27, 2008

When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get...Shopping

I am exhausted lately. When you move to Aviano, the big ridiculous thing you hear is that, "At some point, your car/house will get broken into by Gypsies. They don't want to hurt you, they just want to take your stuff."

Well, they're not hurting me, nor are they taking my stuff! At least, that's what I'm telling myself every night about once an hour when I wake up after hearing some noise. When Chris is here, I sleep soundly. But, this deployment has been particularly difficult with getting any kind of sound sleep.

So, my friend Heather took me to do some retail therapy yesterday in Nove.

If your name is Chris you can definitely stop reading at this point. You might get really annoyed.

Yesterday was a fantastic trip. There is a store in Nove called Ancora (and, yes, DGs, the symbol of the store is an anchor). They are sadly going out of business this fall. My mother actually owns a whole slew of beautiful dessert plates from them that she bought a couple of decades ago when we lived in Germany. So, they're like family.

I had really wanted a set of dessert dishes in their berry pattern, so I thought the best thing to do would be to stock up before they totally go out of business. I had a lot of fun.

We also hit up a couple other places, including VBC, my favorite Nove store. They had a couple of beautiful platters/serving bowls with pumpkins on them. I couldn't pass those up either. I mean, it is almost fall.

I was with a fun bunch yesterday, who were all adventurous. So after our combat shopping, we decided to drive up the mountain to Asiago (famous for the cheese) to seek out some lunch.

I had been to Asiago once before, and I can safely say that summertime is a spectacular time to be there. It is an Alpine town, and the flowers were in full bloom. Simply stunning.

I rarely rave about Italian food anymore. A lot of it is just boring at this point. But, I had one of the best glasses of Prosecco that I've had in awhile, and a wonderful plate of pasta where the Ragu sauce was made from goulasch. It was so good that I want to try to make it somehow.

All in all it was a nice reprieve from my Bazaar responsibilites. I even saw my Lion of Venice in Asiago!


Now, it's time to get back to the land of Bella Befana Bazaar. I have lots of vendor and volunteer things to do today!

No comments: