Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Deutschland!

We are here in Geilenkirchen! Here are some thoughts from our trip here:

1. Edelweiss Lodge & Resort in Garmish. Definitely worth going. It was beautiful (the lodge and the town). Food is vastly overpriced, however, especially considering it is a military resort. I mean, we would not have minded paying it if the food was actually any kind of quality, but it really wasn't.

2. We stopped in Ramstein Sunday night. Ah, Ramstein. I love it. My family was stationed there 1988-1991, and I was so excited to go back. We stayed at the Gruner Woog (now called Hotel Anna), which is where my family stayed when we first moved there in 1988. My friend Liz and I stayed there a couple of years ago, too. Frau Anna is just as wonderful as ever!

3. Ramstein just opened a new mall/BX on base. It is INCREDIBLE. Those of you in the United States would probably not understand the magnitude of what I am about to say, but there is a Macaroni Grill there! And, a real bookstore! And, lots of shops! And, the BX has a selection! Of everything! The baby boy clothing section alone made me want to weep tears of joy.

4. Yesterday, we left Ramstein and drove to Geilenkirchen. We are staying in an amazing guest house. Today, Chris is checking in with the new squadron, and I am...watching British satellite TV. Oh, and doing laundry. I'm assuming we are going to start househunting today as well. I can't wait! I learned some serious lessons about European homes in Italy, and am excited to apply my newfound wisdom on this hunt (ie. just because it's a quaint, picturesque, old European house doesn't mean you want to live there). Here's one thing I'm pretty sure of - I doubt there will be any scorpions anywhere around. Hallelujah!

No comments: