Sunday, May 9, 2010

Alles Gute zum Muttertag

This is my first Mother's Day since having Jackson, and it has been a delightful one. I am very grateful for my little boy (although, as I write this he just crawled over and broke a Delftware tray that I have).

After church today we opted to stay in our village to enjoy a local parade and celebration for Muttertag. We walked up to the church, and started talking to a man decked out in his finest German outfit for the occasion. He told us that everything was in honor of Mother's Day - but, that the event was being held to decide the new "king" (mayor) of our village.




After the parade made its way around the village, everyone headed to a field where there was a shooting contest - to decide who the new mayor would be. Seriously.

I am one of those people who becomes very involved in different organizations wherever I live. And, many of these organizations arrive at the same crossroads year in and year out - who the heck is going to take over the various leadership positions because nobody wants to take them? I now have a solution. Everyone takes a turn at the gun to shoot at the target. Whoever gets the best score assumes the presidency! Incredible.



As is typical at any German fest, the drink tent was right near the entrance. To be a good sport, I decided that Chris and I should both drink a beer, as neither of us had to drive. I walked up to the bar, and ordered from the list. I totally ruined it, though, and accidentally ordered us some very unmanly wine coolers instead of the beer I promised. Chris wanted to die from embarrassment, as it appeared that drinking a wine cooler in Germany is just as uncool as drinking one in the United States.



We had a really wonderful time meeting some of the village neighbors, including an American and a Canadian couple who were lots of fun. And, I learned that our village has been around since 1583. Pretty amazing!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

love his fru fru drink! LOL

Madcap Motherhood said...

Pinkies up, Chris.
Jackson broke your tray? This calls for a shopping trip!