Friday, May 7, 2010

Overwhelmed

It has taken a few days, but we are starting to get back into our routine in Germany. We spent a blissful couple of weeks touring our old stomping grounds in the USA.

I think the one word I continue to use each and every time I return to the States is "overwhelmed". I believe that I become more so with every visit. It's the endless number of TV channels from which to choose; the ridiculous stream of stores to shop in (and the number of items they have to buy); the countless number of restaurants we wanted to visit; the enormous cars whizzing by us on the freeway (in the right lane talking on cellphones); the limitless times to visit Starbucks and Barnes & Noble; the ability to do anything, buy anything, see anything you want at any time you want to do so. It's just too much.

When I'm overseas I miss all the choices, but I have to say it gives me anxiety to be able to have anything I want when I want it. I mean, there are definitely things I regret not having here in Germany. Just today, I went to the Commissary to buy food, and I was in a state of melancholy when I arrived in the baby aisle. When I went to Babies R Us in Texas, I had tears welling in my eyes to see that they had an entire row for pacifiers; more baby food flavors than I had any clue existed (they have green vegetables in Stage 3??); so many baby clothes and odds and ends right at my fingertips, and I had never had the pleasure of walking into a store like this since I had Jackson.

But, here I was back at the Commissary. After dining on fun-flavored organic baby food for weeks, and discovering graham crackers without honey (babies can't eat anything with honey) and other great new snacks, we were relegated to buying the Gerber sweet potatoes and squash once again. Sorry, Jackson. Back to the boring options. Bye-bye Mum-Mums. Auf wiedersehn baby yogurt.

At the end of the day, though, I desperately miss my family and friends, but surprisingly enough, can do without the "so much"ness of America. We don't need all of it, and my simplified life is much happier without all of the stuff.

We had a wonderful time visiting Oklahoma City, OK; Fort Worth, TX; Washington D.C.; and Yorktown, VA. Chris and I celebrated our wedding anniversary with a night out to Reata in Forth Worth; introduced Jack to new family members, including his cousins, Luke and George; and watched Jackson enjoy so many new experiences. I miss my country, but am enjoying the time we have here in Europe.

No comments: