Saturday, July 3, 2010

Garmisch

We spent a whirlwind few days in southern Germany, immediately after Chris' parents touched down for a visit. Although I have had some minor complaints about Edelweiss Lodge & Resort in Garmisch, it was the easiest place for us to stay for this visit. So, away we went!

Oh, what a glorious time to be there. I am obsessed with German flowers, and have been since I was a child. The Germans manage to cover the outside of their homes with geraniums, and it is spectacular.



On our first full day in Garmisch, we decided to stay in the local area, which of course, includes the ascent to Zugspitze. You might remember that it didn't go so well for me in October. So, those of us who were too scared to do it this time (me! I mean, Jackson) decided to stay at Eibsee while the others went up the mountain. That's quite OK, though, because we got to hang out here for awhile:



We also visited Mad King Ludwig's castles, Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein, and ventured into Munich.

It was a great trip. Bavaria is really my favorite part of Germany, which makes my family laugh. When I was a snotty ten-year-old, my father went to Turkey to "fly planes" with his squadron for the summer, while the women and children were left at home. My mother decided to brave a trip with her three children, so she took us to Bavaria. This, apparently, was not to my liking, as I felt that I had wasted a summer going to "Bavaria" (imagine a really, really spoiled bored voice saying that) while other friends would have gone to places like Paris. I didn't feel that it was very fair, and Bavaria was apparently also too bucolic for my taste.

So, there is always a good laugh when I admit that I long for the mountains and beauty (and plain old stereotype) of southern Germany.

1 comment:

Madcap Motherhood said...

It's okay--Germans love to bust on Bavaria, too.