Wednesday, January 2, 2008

If Your Friends Jumped Off of a Bridge...

Traditionally, I decline to make New Year's resolutions. Typically, I despise the Internet media darlings MySpace and Facebook. But, I am stepping outside of my comfort zone in 2008.

Chris and I moved to northern Italy in October 2006, and I told some people then that I would start a blog. Since I have been hounded by some people (Laura Stallings chief among them) to actually start one, I thought that I would include this within my wider 2008 resolution to write more. I also thought that, by using a public forum to announce my intentions, I MIGHT actually take up my pen (or in this case computer) and do what I've been intending to do for over a year now.

In 2008, my goal is to simply write. It would be very simple, except for the fact that I always find excuses not to do it. I've started journaling to get my mind going in the morning, which was my first step. My second is this blog. Finally, and I am nervous even saying it, I would love to write a book.

I know that some of you remember how long it took me to finish my master's thesis, and you are laughing at me. But, this would actually be way more fun and interesting, and I have an idea brewing in my head. I've even written a little bit! But, I just want to see if I'm actually any good, and if I can somehow get an agent. Baby steps. I certainly have the time.

So, welcome to my blog, part of my new process for getting myself writing. I am not going to write mundane details about my daily routine - you just wouldn't be interested in spouse group meetings or trips to the post office. But, I will tell you about all of our trips that we take, as well as all the interesting things that are happening for us here in Italia.

5 comments:

McBob said...

Meredith,

I'm looking forward to reading everything you write!

Love,

Dad

Jennifer said...

I'm excited to hear about all your little adventures! And YEA for taking the first offical step towards your dream of a book and your right I do remember the thesis :)

I have news too! I'm engaged. No plans yet. But I'll keep you posted.

Laura said...

Yeah! It's like being a fly on your wall! And you know how I love that because I am a nosy girl! By the way, I thought you lived in Juice, not whatever city you have listed.

Sue said...

Meredith,

I, too, am looking forward to reading everything you write. Your are in such a great place from which great stories will emerge.

Mom

matt said...

blah, blah, blah... what about your favorite activities, applications, or groups. blogs are gay. the politically incorrect version of gay to be exact!