Friday, February 27, 2009

Hunting Season

One of my least favorite seasons has just commenced - hunting season. I don't go hunting for anything you would normally associate with hunting, though. I hunt something tiny and sinister, something that lurks in corners and under furniture around my house for a fraction of the year. I hunt the dreaded scorpion, or le scorpione, as they would say in Italian.

Hunting season began this morning. I was minding my own business and about to leave my kitchen when I noticed one medium-sized black scorpion poking out from under the kitchen radiator. There are no pictures of him, because I did what I have to do. I flattened him with a shoe, swept up his body, and flushed him down the toilet. I have a pretty good rhythm going after a couple of years of this.

What is distressing, though, is that this seems really early to be finding scorpions in my house. They definitely tend to hibernate during the winter and come out during the warm weather months, and they make several showings a day sometimes during the summer. So, it being February still (albeit the last day), it is upsetting to see one in my house already!

No comments: