Sunday, March 1, 2009

Prosecco Road

On Saturday, I went with a group of people to the area surrounding Vittorio Veneto for a really fun afternoon and evening. Vittorio Veneto is a town about 45 minutes from here, and it is absolutely beautiful.

Our first stop was in the village of Follino, where we visited an old monastery. It was beautifully decorated with frescoes. Also, we learned that the monastery had been bombed during World War I, so there had been a lot of restoration.

From there, we drove up to the prosecco area, which was stunning. Prosecco is my favorite Italian wine, and is a fantastic substitute for champagne. This particular wine is cultivated in the beautiful rolling hills of the pre-Alps, so we had great views during the drive. We ended up at Ca' Salina, where we were given a tour and wine tasting. I couldn't indulge, naturally, but I still bought a case of prosecco for our collection.

After the wine tasting, we went to Castel Brando, which was probably the largest castle I have been to! By the time we got there, it was dark, and the castle was lit up. This particular castle has several restaurants, a hotel, and a spa inside. We ate dinner in one of the restaurants, and had a fantastic time. I definitely want to go back to spend the night, and hit up more prosecco wineries once the baby is born!

No comments: