Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Elusive Candles

I have been searching high and low for taper candles. Seriously. I have looked just about anywhere I can think of, and I can't seem to find them! Do candle companies just not make them anymore?

The good side to this is that I went to a beautiful new store yesterday. It's called Barkenhof, and it is a stone's throw from my house. The owners, Olaf and Elke, have a gorgeous German version of a villa, and they operate the store in the downstairs.

Olaf walked us through and gave us quite the education on some of the products - champagnes, oils, dishware, antiques. Cheeses, dates imported all the way from the Negev, delectable figs.

I was interested in the store, primarily because I heard they sold candles. Well, they do, but not the tapered version I would like.

However, getting to spend an hour with Olaf was a treat. Olaf is a self-described cook and nutritionist and he is also a great salesman. By the end of the visit, Chris and I walked out with a bottle of secht (German champagne), an Italian pannetone, cheese, dates, and a bottle of Italian lemon-flavored olive oil. We are throwing a New Year's Day brunch for some friends, so I will be using all of this then.

I am thrilled, though, that this store is so close. They have great teas and things that I will be able to cook with. They also have some great dishes and antiques that I will be interested in later on, I'm sure. The building itself is stunning. Part of the store has a kitchen where Olaf whips up treats for his guests so that you leave with an armful of products. I have my eye on some Italian Modena vinegar the next time I go.

What a great find!

No comments: