Monday, December 21, 2009

Real German Obsession

I don't know if you would really call this a complaint. But, Germans are OBSESSED with the appearance of their homes. I guess it's more of an admiration. But, it makes me feel stressed out and guilty about the appearance of my own house.

I picture the neighbors next door and across the street making a list of the days that go by where we don't go outside and sweep or mow or pick up miniscule sticks or rake - whatever - and handing this list over to our landlord periodically.

Really, I don't know where on earth they find the time. Since we moved in almost two months ago, I have used my time to put things away, get ready for Christmas, take care of my child, and go out to enjoy Germany. Oh, and do errands. That's it.

Our next-door neighbors, on the other hand, are out as early as 6:00 a.m. taking care of their yard. I'm not kidding. Everyone is out sweeping the sidewalk and clearing the gutters all the time. I try, when I come in from an errand, to take care of something if it seems out of place, but sweeping the sidewalk loses priority to, say, feeding my child, which seems to take up approximately 50 percent of my time.

I'm assuming that the inside of their homes are just as immaculate. Where on earth do they find the time and energy?

I am feeling increasingly guilty after the snow storm we just had yesterday. Even though it snowed, we made time to go to church and still made it to the brunch reservations we had. Priorities. Today, Chris had a day off. We would much rather be at a Christmas market, but instead are cleaning the house.

Chris is off to buy a snow shovel, as we do not have one, and our neighbors shoveled right on up to our part of the sidewalk and stopped. I'm taking it as a hint. They also love to pull our garbage and recycling cans up to the middle of our driveway exactly two seconds after the garbage or recycling men empty them at 7:00 a.m. when I am still drinking coffee and am nowhere near dressed for the day. Honestly, give me a couple minutes!

I think they all hate me for my lack of obsession over the outside of my own house. But, I hope that I am just giving them more self-pride over their own homes. When Chris gets home today from buying the snow shovel, I MIGHT go out and shovel. Or, I might not. I also need to bake cookies for an outing to an orphanage tomorrow and I honestly don't have time to do both. Sheesh.

I might take some of the cookies as a peace offering to our neighbors. Seriously, if I keel over from exhaustion and stress during the next three years, you can blame it on my sense of worthlessness over my housekeeping skills.

2 comments:

Madcap Motherhood said...

They have probably had neighborhood meetings about you. Time to fish that blue smock apron I made you out of the box and dedicate yourself to Putzfrauery.

Meredith Cooper said...

I really wanted to avoid the blue apron. But, I have seen some of the old ladies in them. It brings a smile to my face that some women still wear them.