Saturday, December 19, 2009

Our First Date

Well, Chris and I finally had our first date since Jackson was born. I know, you're probably thinking, "Isn't Jackson five months old?" Yes, it has taken us that long to go out on a date without our son!

I think that if we had stayed in Aviano, I would have felt more comfortable with finding a babysitter so that we could go out. But, we moved. And, I am comfortable saying that I am incredibly overprotective regarding our new search for a babysitter.

So, I heard about Parents' Day Out, which was hosted by the childcare center at JFC Brunssum. I immediately jumped on that opportunity, as adults would be providing the childcare, and not a 12-year-old.

We bravely left Jackson and decided to go back to Valkenburg to check out the other cave Christmas market. This time, I had my ducks in a row. We found excellent parking right in the center of town, which was also right across from the Velvet Caves.

We had a nice time checking out the market, but in the end decided that the Cauberg Cave market we visited before was actually better. But, we made a nice day of it, and spent the rest of our time checking out the beautiful little center of town.

Valkenburg is packed with restaurants, so we chose one that we would ordinarily dismiss because it looked too nice to bring our infant. We relished the fact that we didn't have a stroller and could linger over food.

We also stopped in a nice home decor store, and I found an interesting clock that I decided I needed. So, the day was a success. It was also bitterly cold, although we had some beautiful sun. It has been snowing off and on during the past week, so we had a nice dusting on the ground.

And, I'm pleased to report that Jackson was not screaming or crying when we picked him up.

2 comments:

Madcap Motherhood said...

I know you think I'm a really lazy and uncaring mom and that I would leave my kids with the first homeless guy I see on the street, but one time when Luke was 10 mos (this is going to be a run-on sentence), we left him at Give Parents a Break and I spent part of our date crying because I was afraid they weren't going to give him the special meal I had packed for him, as I did not want him eating the tuna fish they were seving that day. Also, I cried because they put Luke in a room without cribs and I worried about how he was going to take a nap on a mat. Good for you--sounds like you handled it a lot better than I used to!

Meredith Cooper said...

I would have cried too. But, Jack was in a nice infant room, and the woman we talked to right away was very attentive about what we wanted to feed him. That is weird that they would have put Luke in a non-infant room.