Friday, January 22, 2010

Weekday Fun

I have had a kind of "I miss Aviano" week. I miss the people, the mountain, the coffee, the food, the shopping, even the base. I don't really miss my house...especially the scorpions. But, I think this is all because it's January and dreary - perfect melancholy weather.

However, I have started getting out there and having fun. I have a couple of new friends who have met up with me each Thursday for the past few weeks to chat over lunch, sew together, or, like yesterday, go to the market.

I had heard nothing but good things about the Sittard market on the Netherlands side of the border. So, we went and walked around. What a great place! It had your typical European market products. I bought some produce, bread, and treats for my nephews.

But, the square is beautiful! The architecture and stores are outstanding. This will be a great hangout place, for sure.

The Dutch people are gearing up for Carnival. So, lots of shops had their traditional Carnival colors in the windows - red, green, and yellow. I think I'll get a couple little things, but I am not into the idea of wearing a costume. All the decorations made me really excited that there is a fun holiday season approaching in the middle of what I usually consider a boring time of year.

Last night was also the International Women of GK meeting, and the theme was Turkish night. Our ladies from Turkey put on a really cool fashion show, highlighting formalwear from a designer who takes inspiration from the Ottoman Empire. There was a lot of great embroidery and fabric. The food was great, too. It made me long for another trip to Turkey. Maybe someday.

It was a great day, and made me realize just how happy I am to be a stay-at-home mom in Germany!

No comments: