Sunday, January 17, 2010

Weekend

On Saturday, we had another Give Parents a Break date. I know what you're thinking - you dating fools, do you ever spend time with your son, or do you farm him out to anyone and everyone on the weekends?

Well, just to give you peace of mind, our date was supposed to last from 10:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m., but Jackson wasn't having it. We got a call around 1:30 to pick him up, because they couldn't get him to stop crying. However, we did spend a nice few hours exploring the village of Gangelt.

What I loved, first of all, about this past Saturday was the ability to go into stores on a whim without having to get Jack in and out of the car. That was probably the most exciting part of the whole deal. I found a fun little grocery store, where my purchase was a package of cookies for my nephew, Luke, that had a German Cookie Monster on it. Hey, Koekiemonster, can you tell me how to get to Sesamstrasse?

We stopped into an antique shop, Antik Wichert, that I drive by all the time, and always want to check out. We ate at a great restaurant, Haus Hamacher, and checked out the best little cafe, Münchhausen Erzählkaffee. Ultimately, we had a great day, and realized that Gangelt is a fantastic little village right in our area. The restaurant itself was situated in a lake/wildpark area that will be perfect once the spring arrives.

On Sunday, Jackson went happily to childcare while we attended church, and then to a new marriage small group on the movie Fireproof and the study The Love Dare. I was thrilled that he lasted through both of those without making a scene. I guess we're in that phase where he notices Mom and Dad have left him. I, myself, was such a child, and remember going nuts whenever my Mom left me. So, it's justice, I suppose.

Well, Jackson is busy doing his favorite activity (crawling backwards), so I'd better settle in for a nice day with him. And, start planning our next date - maybe next weekend?

No comments: